Legal Guides

How To Bring A Spouse To The USA

Spouse To The USA

Do you want to bring your spouse to the USA, you must complete a visa application process which includes an interview. The interviewers will go to verify whether the marriage is legitimate or not.

When the couple plans to stay together after settling in the U.S., each of the couples also needs to submit some of the documents and pay some extra fees.

Immigration Processing For A Non-US Spouse Living Outside The Country


The Immigration process for a non-US spouse can take up to two and a half years. During this time, many non-US residential spouses must remain outside of the USA, and they all must maintain valid visa documentation. During this time, many of the non-USA spouses may not be permitted to return to the country until the petition is approved.

The visa process begins with a simple filing of a petition with USCIS. Then attending a visa interview from the US consulate abroad. The specific immigration process varies, so you should consult an immigration attorney. This person will guide you through the complex process so that you won’t be under any unnecessary stress.

Once your immigration case is also, get approval from the USCIS. Then the National Visa Center will begin the immigration processing. Then NVC will hand over your Form I-130 for the next case to the U.S. embassy in the country where your non-US spouse is living. For maximum cases, your spouse will go to wait three months and then receive the visa approval notice.

1. Available Visas

A spouse can immigrate to the United States with a green card or a visa. In general, the process is simple, and it only takes a year for USA citizens to bring their spouses to the U.S. For permanent residents.

The process involved sometimes requires longer waiting times. In some cases, the permanent residents may have to wait for a longer time. However, when you and your spouse have a good relationship, the process will be much quicker.

Depending on your material status and priority date, the partner’s visa may also be delayed for 24 months, or the time can be longer. All of the Lawful permanent residents also apply for a Spouse Visa Guidance when their priority date is current.

Once the priority date is current, the application file is sent to a consulate or embassy of the partner’s country for processing. After submission of the application form, the spouse will be contacted, and a date will be set for the interview.

2. Application Process

You can apply for a green card for your spouse to join you in the USA. To get a green card, you must show evidence of bona fide marriage. This also can be evidence of all types of shared financials, insurance, along with tax filings. You can also show proof of a child born during the marriage.

If your partner was born outside the U.S, you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident in order to get a spouse visa. This is not a straightforward process.

More patience is required for several documents. If your hubby is already a U.S citizen, you will be able to get a green card within one year. If your spouse is a permanent resident, however, you will have to wait for a longer period of time.

Once your spouse has processed the visa application, all you need is to complete the interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate. During the interview, your documents will be checked, and you will be asked questions about your application.

If you have passed all these steps, you will eventually be a legal citizen of the United States. The visa process can vary widely depending on the country and the priority date of the spouse.

3. Costs

The costs of bringing your spouse to the USA can vary especially depending on the origin country. The cost of hiring an USCIS-approval physician will usually be free, but you may have to pay for the medical examination. Depending on your country, you may also need to pay for travel to the United States.

Additionally, you may have to pay for photographs and process the postage of your application. Lastly, but on the list, you may have to pay for transportation to the consular interview.

In general, filing fees for the initial form I-485 with the USCIS will be about $1,140. The cost of biometric data screening taken from your foreign spouse will vary between $85 and $1,140. In addition, the total costs for the immigration medical exam may cost anywhere from $9 to $34, depending on where you get it.

4. Consular Processing

If you’re looking to bring your spouse to the USA on a permanent basis, you need to go through Consular processing. This process is similar to applying for a green card.

All of the actions involved in interviewing your spouse. The embassy wants to make sure that your marriage is legitimate and that you intend to live together in the USA. The consular officers will also then decide whether to give approval to your petition or return it to USCIS.

Consular processing is usually the easiest and fastest option for bringing a spouse to the United States. However, it is important to understand that this process is not the same for everyone. Some of your spouses may already be U.S. citizens. In that case, the process execution time will be less and easy.

Wrapping It Up:

Even some of the citizens are also going to admit that USA visa processing is a long process. But the fact is documentation, and the clear cheat takes some time to process.

Do not think only submitting the form is the last step. Along with the form submission, the spouses need to hold their patience. As this process really takes time to execute.

Read Also:

What's your reaction?

In Love
Not Sure
Arnab Dey
Arnab is a professional blogger, having an enormous interest in writing blogs and other jones of calligraphies. In terms of his professional commitments, He carries out sharing sentient blogs.

    You may also like

    Leave a reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *