The first question is, are the terminations legal? When can a company terminate you? What are the termination clauses? The termination for cause is when a worker or employee is closed due to acts of omission. The company or organization provides the reasons for the terminations. Many organizations are starting with warning the employees of specific actions.
Usually, the termination for cause can be challenged as wrongful acts when the causes are undercover and unreasonable.
Let’s see first ‘what is termination for cause.’
What Are The Termination For Causes?
The termination for cause occurs due to an employee’s actions in the workplace. For example, miscommunications with coworkers and unhealthy interactions with the managers and customers. These types of harmful communications are leading to termination for cause.
Usually, companies always give explanations for-cause termination. But there are many more things which every company should explain to their employees before the termination. If any company does not give the proper explanations for the terminations; The victim employees can take help from lawyers and lawsuits.
Now you know what termination for cause is. Then let’s see what the reasons for termination are.
What Are The Reasons That Lead To Termination?
When an employee can face termination for cause, there are always some issues linked with company policy, terms, compliance, etc.
Here are six reasons for which any employee can get sudden terminations, even without any prior notice or warnings.
1. Company Secret Documents Theft
Theft of company documents is a serious issue for-cause termination. The termination for cause immediately applied due to these types of cases. Sometimes employees are not well aware of the company’s compliance. As a result, employees are crossing the boundary of the company’s secrecy.
If your company does not provide your exact company compliance papers, Then here are some other factors that are directly linked with the secret company policy.
- Theft of the company data for individual personal gain.
- Doing the other work by using the office tools.
- Using the company trade names and logos without permission.
- Selling the customer data to other companies.
2. Inappropriate Relationships With Coworkers Or Clients
The termination for cause can also happen because of inappropriate relationships with your coworkers and clients. Every company valued professional attire and etiquette. Every workplace relationship should be highly professional to uphold workplace integrity.
Here are some examples of inappropriate relationships in the workplace.
- Sexual harassment.
- Any dissemination of any employees due to the romantic involvement.
- Using abusive words against any employees.
All of these are examples of inappropriate relationships with coworkers. And these types of inappropriate behaviors are hampering the company’s reputation. Your company can take any step against these types of acts.
3. Breaking Of Confidentiality
Breaking of confidentiality is appropriate for termination for cause examples. During the company appointments, every company has a standard page. You will find the confidential paper’s description and the legal norms.
One employee can face termination for cause due to overlooking the company confidentiality. For example, some of the marketing and sales companies are having strict rules for company confidentiality.
Here are some examples of breaking confidentiality.
- Medical institutes and hospitals are pretty strict about their patient’s data. Any mismanagement of data leads to terminations.
- If any client’s information is broken through, this will be a confidentiality breach.
4. Alcohol And Drug-Related Misconduct
Every company has strict rules and norms about these issues. Any employee can face immediate termination for cause due to alcohol and drug consumption during their working hours. Some companies have norms against drugs, and these rules are pretty solid. This is like zero-tolerance rules. That means if some of the employees have any trace of alcohol consumption, employers can immediately terminate them.
Here are some examples of alcohol and drug-related misconduct.
- Drugs impair a person’s judgment. And if that person is handling the clients, then this will be a disaster. In addition, this type of misconduct directly affects the company’s reputation.
- If the employee has a criminal and violent past, these activities become a severe cause of termination.
Every company has some fixed goal and target. And in this goals and target, the company reputations also belong in a good category. The competence attitude and failure of any fixed target can also be the reason for termination for cause.
Here are some examples of corporate incompetence.
- If any employee continuously fails to meet a specific set target.
- When the employees continuously face failures and do not rectify their working procedures, they remain indifferent towards their goals.
- The continuous ignorance towards the higher authority warnings.
6. Offensive Attitude
The termination for cause can also happen if the employees are maintaining a very offensive attitude towards office protocols. Then the company can take stricken and punishable actions against the employees. That also can be the terminations. Some of the workplaces have loose norms for these types of actions. But 90 % of the companies have stringent rules against these.
Here are some examples of such types of actions.
- The missing work schedules.
- Talking rudely to the seniors.
- Falling to provide the precise information for any senior.
- Insulting any fellow employees.
- Do not provide the appropriate information to the appropriate persons.
Frequently Asked Questions About Termination For Cause:-
Ans: No, this is not hard to prove. But when your employer does not provide you with the correct information regarding the company norms and protocols, then things get complicated. When the employees know the company terms and conditions, overlooking the terms is counted as the breached company terms and conditions. That is not hard to prove.
Ans: The immediate terminations process is very volatile in nature. The company only can take strict action against anyone when everyone is well aware of the norms. But unless the company rules are not evident among employees. Then, the company has to give multiple legal notice periods before terminating anyone.
• If an employer mistakenly terminates anyone, the ex-employee can claim the compensation.
• Even if your employers do not disclose the reasons for terminations, you can take the help of corporate lawyers. And sue your company.
Ans: Yes, unlawful dismissal is always possible. Many of the employees have a very tolerant approach to their employers. As a result, they do not get compensation. And some of the employees do not even know the actual reason for termination. And if you are not well aware of the company terms and conditions. You possibly do not know the reasons for the terminations. So there is always a chance of wrongful use of termination.
In the corporate world, termination for cause is a powerful word. So if you are currently facing any problems due to the terminations and other issues, it is better to get help from corporate lawyers. But preventions are always better than cures. So when you are joining a new company, take a good look at the company compliance, terms, and conditions. Then you can closely follow the company protocols.
Do you have any questions in your mind? Do not forget to share your opinion in the comment sections if you have any legal guidance. Then also, use my comment sections and share your legal advice for corporate laws.